Thursday, May 17, 2012

8 out of 10 Americans Live in Urban Areas

I saw this article this morning. It says 8 out of 10 Americans are now urbanites, according to the 2010 census. Wow. I'm not sure why I am surprised by this, but it really drives home the point that so many Americans are removed from the rural culture in which their food is produced. I often hear the statistic touted that today's youth are on average three generations removed from the farm. I get it - lots of Americans are getting away from rural life.


Photos like this one remind me of why I am in the rural minority :)
And the article is a good reminder to keep in mind the perspective of most consumers out there today. The processes of how our crops are grown and marketed, how the land is taken care of, the equipment that is used, and the reasons behind the operating decisions that are made are often foreign concepts to those whose view is not one from the seat of a tractor cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment